AirbnbHell.com is dedicated to helping hosts and guests spread the word about the risks and dangers of using Airbnb. If you had a bad experience using Airbnb either as a Host or as a Guest, please Share Your Story Here.
Here is a summary list of reasons why you should NOT use Airbnb. At the very least, beware of these serious issues with Airbnb services and consider other options including Airbnb Competitors.
If you are a potential Airbnb Guest:
- If any of your personal items or cash are stolen (by the host, other guests, or burglars) you are 100% out of luck and have no protection from Airbnb.
- If there is a foul odor, loud noises, or any other problems with your room that are not easily documented with photos, you are out of luck and your claim for a refund will be denied.
- There is no guarantee how many people might be living in a given home/condo while you are there. If there is a shared bathroom you might end up sharing it with 1 person, or 20.
- A “fully stocked kitchen” means very different things to different people. One pot, 2 dishes and a handful of silverware does not mean you can actually cook a meal there, yet this is not enough evidence to seek a claim for refund
- If you buy groceries and another guest or the host uses them or throws them away, you’re out of luck.
- If the host or another guest has a party every night, you will have to thoroughly document each incident with video recordings and time stamps to seek any sort of claim or refund. Even then, it will be a battle that may take weeks.
- Airbnb charges you about 15% on top of what the host actually receives for your reservation. That means you COULD get your reservation for about 15% LESS if you booked directly with the host.
- If you have to cancel your reservation at the last minute, the host has the right to keep some or all of your money for your entire stay. You will not have any ability to write a review of your host if you cancel your reservation, even if you end up paying for your entire stay and the host double-books the rental space.
If you are a potential Airbnb Host:
- If your guests claim any sort of insect/pest/vermin problem, airbnb will instantly return 50% of your guests money, even if it’s a year long reservation and the claim is false. This is a common scam tactic.
- If your guests steal your cash or other difficult-to-prove assets, airbnb will do nothing.
- If you make any claim regarding damage to reclaim part or all of the security deposit, airbnb will make your life a living hell by demanding receipts for your original purchase even if it’s furniture that you’ve owned for 20 years. If you don’t have receipts, you’re out of luck, and even if you do, it will take weeks or months to get any resolution.
- If you wait more than 24 hours to make a claim regarding damage from guests, your claim will be denied by default.
- Airbnb takes 3% of every reservation from you, but they also take about 15% from the guest! That means your guests are WILLING to pay 18% more than you’re actually receiving but you’re not getting any of that extra money.
- Even if you use a Strict Cancellation Policy to protect yourself from flaky guests canceling their reservation at the last minute, Airbnb has the right to override that policy at any time and without warning or explanation refund the guest the entire amount of their reservation, even if it’s less than 24 hours before the guest is scheduled to check in.
- The “1 million dollar host guarantee” is virtually impossible to actually claim. Don’t fall for this marketing ploy!
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/947097 We booked this nice-enough-looking place for our stay in Paris. Our host contacted us and told us that we wouldn’t be able to check in until after 4:30PM. We made the necessary travel arrangements to accomodate. There are only so many international trains per day between southern Switzerland and Paris. On our way into […]
I have just been notified by my tax office that they are conducting a tax audit of my tax returns, when I asked for further information I was told that AIRBNB have handed over my name, address and all payments made by AIRBNB to me to the United Kingdom tax authorities. Apparently AIRBNB has handed […]
Well my first host scheduled was supposed to secure a place for me Jenny excellent room with ocean view Honolulu hawaii seemed great we emailed and text and when her other hosts said in review she picked up from airport thought that was great only to find out she wanted to charge me three times as […]
My daughter found a flat in NY on the Airbnb website. She received an email from the ‘host’ of the flat and also one issued by a fake Airbnb email address (firstname.lastname@example.org pretending to be the real Airbnb, used its buzzwords / terminology and carried the Airbnb logo. It said: “Welcome to Airbnb!” and added […]
I never saw this coming. I have built up a fairly strong vacation rental business through airbnb. never had any problems I’m a 5 star host. Hosted over 1000 people in my time with airbnb. Then out of no where airbnb terminated my accounts and left me totally abandoned. I can’t get any help or […]
Hello all, My story : we rent a place perfectly advertised on airbnb. 4 weeks ago a guy contact us to rent the full place for 6 days (1600€ all in), asking also for a taxi and booking some stuff around our place. after some chat on airbnb and facebook (lot of pictures sent to […]
The management and arrangement for this Hong Kong Hostel that provided extremely poor service. The hotel named as New Lucky House which located at Nathan Road, HK. We feel extremely disappointed to the irresponsible person in-charge, Zoe for the extremely poor arrangement for our stay in Hong Kong on the last 2 weeks (18-19/9). We […]
We wanted to book a room, the room had good reviews. Put the card in and nothing. We gather that hosts don’t have to bother to reply if they don’t want to book you in. Personality, just a reply saying they are unable to do so, for whatever reason, is fine, but not nothing. We […]
So I will start this off by saying…my dog somehow managed to jump thru a screen window at my host’s place while I was away for a few hours, because I don’t usually need to kennel my dog. Not only that but who the f*ck can possibly, logically presume the creativity of their pets to […]
I will NEVER use AirBNB again. My host did not let me into the apartment for over 5 hours nor did she have any intention of letting me in despite the confirmation. She was out with her friends and could not be inconvieced to return to the apartment despite the fact I had given her […]