Airbnb in Miami Beach not what I expected

I booked a seven-night stay at an Airbnb in Miami Beach in May. The place looked nothing like the pictures: the hotel was rundown and old; there were garbage bins at the front and back of the building; they had smelly elevators and smelly hallways. My mom found bugs in the kitchen, and people were doing marijuana at the pool. The customer service sucked.

I contacted the host right away and told her my concerns. She decided to stop replying to me and I didn’t hear back from her. I contacted Airbnb for help. They were terrible at handling this case. It took over a month. I had to keep calling them. No case manager called me back and when I got a hold of one he was nasty, rude, and unprofessional; he even lied to me on the phone about a conversation we had before.

This whole experience was really bad, from the terrible host to the terrible Airbnb service. Don’t ever book from here. The host may give you a description of the place and when you show up it may not be it and no one holds them account. Do not book with Airbnb. I expected average. This was a Motel 9 experience: below average and I never got any of my money back.

Posted in Airbnb Guest Stories and tagged , , , , , .

One Comment

  1. This is the new airheadbnb! It works about 90% of the time, but they decided they just don’t care about the other 10%… that is for you to deal with. This is a super host (4yrs now) saying this! The only way to change it is to stop using it. Try out the other services that care!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.