30 Minutes of an Overwhelming Fume Experience for $500

I found what looked like the perfect Airbnb. It was an automated check-in, but I still reached out to the owners. I didn’t get a response, which I chalked up to it being a business trip and auto check-in/auto accept. The reviews were on point and recent.

I got to the location easily enough and was suddenly overcome with a stench; it was like a toxic fume. My eyes began burning. I thought, “Maybe I just need to give it a few minutes.” In the interim, I speed tested the wifi and it was awesome. I thought “This place could really work.”

Meanwhile, my eyes were on fire and the smell didn’t seem to dissipate. I reached out to the owners and said essentially: “Great place. Thanks for sharing your home with me. The fumes are overwhelming. I’m opening the windows and doors.”

I was super polite in every interaction. There was no response from the owners. I reached out to Airbnb and got a canned reply. Then I was able to chat with a real person who basically said that I need to cancel if it was unbearable.

I reached out to the hosts and said something to the effect: “Thank you, I can’t bear it. I need to cancel”. Again, no response. I canceled… and then the host finally responded with “open the windows and doors” – it was winter time, mind you. Anyway, that was the fastest $500 dollars I ever lost.

Posted in Airbnb Guest Stories and tagged , , , , , .

3 Comments

  1. Agree with Tom. In these situations you need to get on to airbnb and then give the host enough time to rectify the situation. If they don’t airbnb should re home you

  2. Why slam the guest for a mistake in cancelling. The villains in this story are the host for knowingly renting an uninhabitable space, Airbnb for a difficult to navigate app, and the apologists who rush to shame/blame the victims

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.